Monday, April 26, 2010

Pillowcase Envy




Ok, I admit it. I got busted big time. Hannah dropped by the house unexpectedly and saw the latest monthly pillowcase I made Kiki. (I've been doing one a month for her freshman year at college.) So, Hannah asked about it and even asked specifically, "How many have you made her, Mom?" Dang! Direct questions deserve direct answers. "Eight," I told her. I could see her calculating the number I had made her, which didn't take long. Two.


Ya know, I didn't imagine the sibling rivalry thing to last past when they both lived at home, but how wrong was I? I want some pretty pillowcases too, she told me. For a minute there I could see her sweet, pony-tail framed little face at 5! But she was totally right. "Come by the shop and pick out fabric," I told her. She did and am I ever glad I had her pick it out! She chose fabrics that really surprised me! Especially the spring green toile. (Who decided how to pronounce that word, by the way? How weird is that!) She said it reminded her of the wallpaper at my Mom and Dad's lakehouse years ago. (When Kiki saw it later, she said the exact same thing without talking to Hannah!) So I got to work sewing pillowcases. And as if the 6 Hannah picked out weren't enough...


This week Kiki is at the beach on a retreat with BCM from North GA - and last week I got the bright idea to make coordinating pillowcases for all the girls in her villa - all six of them. Then I got the bright idea to embroider the year and other details about the retreat on the cuff - in glow in the dark thread no less! It took a while but it was well worth it; Kiki LOVED it and when I gave them to her she promptly "charged" the thread by the lamp and we ran into the bathroom and closed the door so we could see it glow. (It works!) So I have been sewing pillowcases like crazy! I still have three more to do for Hannah and then they are even...except for the fact that I just finished the beach one for Kiki. *Sigh* Back to the shop for more fabric!


Here is a shot of Hannah with some of the pillowcases I made last week, along with a close-up of the embroidered words on the retreat pillowcases.



Happy Sewing!




Beth

1 comment:

  1. I love seeing your work. Very inspirational and makes me eager to keep on with my baskets!

    ReplyDelete